Wednesday 12 March 2014

MICROSOFT WORD


Microsoft Word always wrongly 'corrects' the words its and it's. I realize that this is really a tech question, not one for you but finally getting it corrected would be of great benefit to all. My question for you--I'm usually inclined to say 'for help you can call me' or 'please contact Mary or me', etc. When I read similar statements that use 'myself' instead of 'me', it's like fingernails on a blackboard to my ears. Are both correct?

Bill Walsh :

People get freaked out by "me." (They get freaked out by me, too, but that's another subject.)

I think it goes back to being corrected in childhood for saying "me and Sally" instead of "Sally and I." The idea that "me" is somehow wrong is anything but the simplest utterance is what sticks, and so you get people hypercorrecting and saying "Come visit my husband and I" or using "myself" inappropriately.

The appropriate use, of course, is reflexively, in a sentence where you're referring back to an already-expressed "I."

No comments: